Wednesday 25 May 2011

Project Melee

Melee

A confused hand-to-hand brawl.
confusion; turmoil; jumble:

'Cos I don't have enough projects on the go at the mo' I started another new one recently.
The idea is pretty simple, it follows no trends and doesn't really fit into any sort of genre, just a bomber, a UAV, stripped down, single speed, 1 brake, 26inch rims, and thats about it. Some BMX parts, some mountain parts and fingers crossed it turns out OK.

The frame is a little hoopty granted, and a little compact for what is essentially a 17 inch mountain bike. It feels more like a 24in BMX when ridden but it has some classic features I couldn't ignore, like the double top tube and those burly forks. I ground off all the ugly Linear pull brake lugs and nibbly little cable guides along with the hangars for panniers etc. I'll weld on a disc mount inside the chainstays and leave it at that, try and keep it as clean as poss. Still no firm idea about final finish - do I go bare metal with clearcoat and lots of anodized parts or find inspiration elsewhere?, time will tell.

Meantime I'll keep stripping the paint...


Im using some new stuff I found in BnQ, its from Polycell and its really easy to use, just paint on and leave it overnight.


Its like a thick opaque gel, smells like nail polish remover but MAD strong. It bubbles up like normal but dries to a flake, you just brush it off after.


It did this after 10 mins, I wonder what it'll look like when I get home tonight?
(Dang! I hope it don't melt the frame!)

No comments:

Post a Comment