Tuesday 5 November 2013

Deny the Passenger.

"OH. MY. GOD. Passenger is SO amazing, his lyrics are just SO meaningful and poignant, he really speaks to me and knows just what we all think, that 'Let Her Go' song is just amazing"
So says a girl in the office.

I beg to differ, I think Passenger's 'Let Her Go' song is this decades 'Ironic', a song about how ironic life can be sometimes "…like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife". Unfortunately the young Alanis Morissette (ask yer mum) hadn't really grasped the idea of irony when she wrote said song as NONE of the examples of irony listed therein were ironic at all, at best they were just unfortunate coincidences or strokes of bad luck. Unless she was double bluffing us all and deliberately wrote the song lacking irony and called it ironic to be ironic?
Now my brain hurts and I digress.

Passenger says:
You only miss the light when its burning low
You only miss the sun when it starts to snow
You only know you love her when you let her go

Well, Mr Passenger, If I can just stop you there. I'd posit that your use of the word 'only' is your downfall, your 'Ironic' moment, if you will.  'Only' meaning; nothing else or more, finite, no room for flexibility. It suggests these are emotional rules we all adhere to and agree with. But I only miss the light when its dark and I need light, I'm pretty sure thats universal too, when its burning low you still have light and not just that you might want low light to get romantic with 'her', but I guess if you let the light burn out maybe thats why you had to 'let her go'? Sometimes you might want total darkness, like when you sleep or are creeping up on a victim. (Unless you like the light on or maybe low light to sleep with), or if you love your new night vision goggles you might miss the dark when its light, my point is you SOMETIMES miss the light when its burning low.
Alpine skiing usually has sun AND snow at the same time so the assumption that you can't have one without the other is redundant, besides, I rarely miss the sun when it starts to snow cos I wanna go sledging and throw snowballs, the sun would spoil that in this country, sometimes I miss the snow when it starts to sun, and I can't be the only one who feels like that.
And riddle me this oh wise and all knowing Rosenberg. I let someone go once BECAUSE I loved her, so I knew I loved her before I let her go AND after.

There isn't a chorus in that song that stands up to scrutiny, probably why the song is called 'Let her go' and not 'Only', he learned from Alanis' mistakes.
Maybe the lyrics should be:

I only miss the light when its burning low
I only miss the sun when it starts to snow
I only knew I loved her when I let her go

My version goes...
I only have bogies cos I've got a nose
I only wear flip flops 'cos I've got some toes
I only knew how glad I was to see the back of that cold hearted, emotionless, selfish bitch weeks after she'd gone. Good riddance.

But that doesn't scan well.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment