Saturday 18 February 2012

RC Revival. Body n Building.

I didnt take many pics of the chassis build process nor the painting of the body. The chassis building while great to do seems pointless to show, its following a manual and the only thing I 'customised' was the replacement of nylon moulded 'bearings' to sealed metal bearings. hopefully the gearbox and running gear will now last for ages even if i hop up the motor at some point.

here's a couple of pics of the finished chassis.


Not much to see here but for those of you unfamiliar with building one of these they are a treat, the quality and engineering of Tamiya's stuff is excellent. I would much rather do this than buy one ready to run.

The body was black ABS plastic, the plan was to make it bare metal, well, look like bare metal, as if the car was once green like the wheels but had been rubbed down until all the green had gone and the surface had just started to oxidise. So first up I sprayed the inside green and matt black, if it were me and it was a real car I'd leave the inside as original paint.

As I said I didnt take many pics, mostly because I didnt really know if what I wanted to do would work having never done this before, I just assumed the same would apply for small scale as it did for large, so I sanded, primed, undercoated with Alclad primer filler, and top coated with Alclad dull aluminium, then over the top of that I dusted Tamiya aluminium over the top of which I dusted Tamiya matt black - but 50/50 thinned so it would sand off easily hopefully leaving dark patches in the dips and panel gaps.
It did, sweet!

Then I detailed with rust and various blacks and greys and made the door and sunroof appear to come from another car by painting them orange and distressing them in the same way.
A couple of waterslides, some paint pens for the window rubbers and chrome trim and it was done.



and here is the body, with nosecone and lights on the chassis.
Lookin good.

I'll shoot this properly tomorrow, see if I can get some nice detailed shots.





No comments:

Post a Comment