Tuesday 5 June 2012

The Mighty Quim

I went to see the Avengers movie today - not the shit-brit movie from the 90's, the new one with superheroes in.
Its really, really good, I wish I'd seen it sooner and despite the picture being a little out of focus at the top of the screen and the arse-numbing chairs in the local Showcase (not to mention the locals troughing through nosebags) I had a really good time.

The action is pretty much non stop, brilliantly shot, perfectly paced and even though there's a ton of fistfights, gun battles, explosions and Iron man (fuckin LOVE Iron man) it never becomes too much or hard to take in - I'm aiming that at you Michael Bay. From the assembling of the Avengers to the mega-battle against Loki and his space baddies - which takes up most of the film its a proper blockbuster with (almost) some substance and each character is given their fair share of screentime, Joss Whedon really knows his shiz.

There are moments of exposition of course, there has to be, but they are filled with snappy well written dialogue, little in-jokes and often really funny to and fro between characters as they see who can piss highest. (Spoiler alert - Its the Hulk).

But for me the cherry on the cake was Loki referring to Black Widow as a 'Quim'. I nearly spat my Pepsi. I haven't heard that term used for years - its now back in my vocabulary - and it made me laugh when no-one else did, I wonder if it means the same in the U.S. as it does over here?

Quim.


No comments:

Post a Comment